Before You Go

Vehicle Permits for Mexico

Please Note: Baja Bound is an insurance agency and can answer any questions about auto insurance in Mexico. For questions about vehicle permits please call Banjercito at 011-52-555-626-0500 x2637
  • Vehicle permits are not required to drive the entire Baja pennisula or Rocky Point.
  • Vehicle Permits are needed if you travel outside of Baja, outside the border zones (generally further than 16 miles from the border) or outside the permit-free zones of Sonora.
  • Looking for a Sonora Only permit? Read our article: Sonora Only Vehicle Permits
  • Vehicle Permits may be obtained through Banjercito's online process, at a Banjercito office at the border or at certain Mexican Consulates (listed below).
  • Banjercito (Mexico's Banco Nacional del Ejército Fuerza Aérea y Armada) is the government authority who issues vehicle permits.
  • Don't forget your Mexican insurance policy!
Need a vehicle permit?
Apply online at Banjercito! Banjercito's online vehicle permit registration offers travelers to Mexico an easy way to get their temporary importation vehicle permit by mail (if time allows) or to save time picking it up at Banjercito later.

Banjercito's online application is for:

  • Vehicle permits
  • Boat permits
  • Motorhome permit
  • Sonora Only vehicle permits

Visit Banjercito's Online Permit Application

Tips and info regarding the Banjercito on-line application:

  • You may request your permit 10 to 60 days prior to entering Mexico by vehicle.
  • You may ONLY request a permit for a vehicle that is registered to your name or that of your spouse, your children, your parents, or your siblings.
  • You may NOT request a permit for a vehicle weighing more than 3.5 metric tons (7,716 lbs).
  • If you are a foreign citizen, before starting the vehicle permit application process, you must go to INM's (Instituto Nacional de Migración) website to apply for an immigration pre-authorization for your FMM, aka tourist card. The vehicle permit will be issued for the same period as that stated on your immigration pre-authorization. Furthermore, once you‘ve entered Mexico you must approach an immigration officer in order to exchange your pre-authorization form for the proper immigration document.
  • Once the payment has been accepted, Banjercito will send the permit to your address within 10 business days.
  • Once you have received your permit, you must send a copy of the documents you provided during the application process in one of the following ways:
    • Sending the scanned documents by e-mail to itvnet@banjercito.com.mx.
    • Through courier service to the following address: Av. Industria Militar 1055, Col. Lomas de Sotelo, Del. Miguel Hidalgo, México, D.F., CP. 11200.
    • Delivering them in person to any Banjercito office.
  • Should any of the information you provide during the application process be found to be false, you may be subject to sanctions imposed by the Mexican authorities.
  • Banjercito reserves the right to deny any request for a permit should any violation of current law be found.
  • The applicant must be 18 years old.
  • The person named on the credit card must be the person who is applying for the temporary importation permit.
  • You will not be able to process the permit online if you have a working or student visa, due to the fact that it is necessary to prove that the visa is still valid and it has at least been one year since its been in force. If this is the case you will need to go to the Mexican Consulate that processes vehicle permits or at one of the borders so you may obtain your vehicle permit.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need a vehicle permit to drive in Baja and the border zones?

No permit is required if you plan to stay within 25 kilometers (16 miles) of the border, known as the "border zone", or anywhere in the Baja California peninsula.

Do I need a vehicle permit to visit Sonora?
Maybe. If you are visiting Rocky Point, Guaymas, San Carlos, Hermosillo, Bahia de Kino, Caborca, Father Kino Missions, Magdalena and Santa Ana you will not need a vehicle permit. If you are visiting other cities that are further south or east of the 15, but will stay in Sonora, you qualify for the Sonora Only permit..

View Map of Border and Permit Free Zone

What about to drive in the rest of Mexico?

If you plan to drive south of the border zone, or outside of the Sonora permit-free area or outside Baja (to some destinations reached by ferry), you must obtain a temporary importation vehicle permit online, at the border, or from certain Mexican consulates (read below).

How much does a vehicle permit cost?
At the border, from Mexican consulates or online at the Banjercito website:
  • $52.20 (USD) = $44.00 (USD) + IVA
  • A guarantee deposit is also required
How much does a vehicle permit cost for a recreational vehicle (RV)?
Fees in USD, including IVA are:
How much does a permit cost to import a boat?
Fees in USD, including IVA are:
What is the guarantee deposit?

Banjercito charges a guarantee deposit to those applying for a permit. The deposit will be returned once the vehicle and permit are returned. If you do not return your vehicle and the permit by the time your permit expires, Banjercito will keep the deposit. Remember to return your vehicle and permit!

  • 2007 and newer models, USD $400.00 deposit required
  • 2001 - 2006 models, USD $300.00 deposit required
  • models previous to 2000, USD $200.00 deposit required
If I am making payments on my vehicle, what do I need in order to take my vehicle to Mexico?

Many banks and finance companies require you to take a letter of permission with you to Mexico. In order to issue the letter of permission, many companies will require proof of Mexican insurance first. Contact your bank or finance company for further information. Buy your policy online instantly.

Is it easy to send my policy to my bank or finance company?

Yes. If you purchase your policy online, you will have immediate access to your policy and may fax it through our system to your bank or email the policy in pdf format. Please call us at 1-888-552-2252 or email us if you would like assistance. We will need the fax number or email address of your bank and any other information that will help us get it to the correct department or person.

What information do I need to apply for a vehicle permit online?
  • Your INM (Instituto Nacional de Migración) online pre-authorization for FMM - tourist card
  • A document that proves your citizenship (you will need to enter the document number):
    • Passport or passport card
    • Certificate of naturalization
    • Resident alien card
  • Date you will enter Mexico
  • Email address - Will be used to send a confirmation email with a reference number
  • Number of passengers in your vehicle
  • Address - This is the address the permit will be mailed to
  • Your vehicle's VIN number
  • Credit or debit card that allows foreign transactions

*Note: To apply for a vehicle permit online, you cannot use a birth certificate as proof of citizenship, but this is accepted if you apply in person.

If I pre-register, where do I pick up my vehicle permit?

Pre-registered vehicle permits may be picked up at any Banjercito Module located at the border. See below for a list of locations.

If I pre-register, what documents do I need to bring with me to pick up my permit?

The documents you used to complete the online application will be required to pick up your permit (bring a copy or two along). These documents could include your passport or passport card and vehicle registration or title. Remember to bring your pre-registration code. If you need permission to take the vehicle to Mexico, i.e. if you are making payments or the vehicle is rented, it is important to bring the proof that the vehicle may leave the country in the form of a letter from your bank or a car rental agreement that states the vehicle may be in Mexico. Remember to buy Mexican insurance before your trip. It is easier to buy online than at the border.

What are the requirements to get a vehicle permit in person at a Mexican consulate or Banjercito office?
Make sure you have the original (or a notarized copy) and two photocopies of the following documents:
  • One of the following documents that prove your citizenship:
    • Passport or passport card
    • Birth certificate
    • Certificate of naturalization
  • Your vehicle registration or vehicle title (pink slip) - The vehicle registration must be in the driver's name. Additionally parents, children, siblings, or the husband or wife of the owner of the vehicle may apply for a permit without the owner present as long as they have a birth certificate or marriage certificate to prove their relationship.
  • A lease contract if the vehicle is leased or a rental contract if it rented
  • If you owe money on the vehicle through a lien holder, you must provide a notarized letter of permission
  • A Mexican tourist card (FMM) or visa for travel in Mexico
Now that I have all the necessary documents, what do I do next?
  • Make sure you have Mexican Auto Insurance
  • Look for the "Módulo de Control Vehícular" or Mexican Customs (Aduana México) signs that say "Importación Temporal de Vehículos" where you are crossing.
  • This next step is determined by whether or not you have an internationally accepted credit card. If you have an international credit card (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Diner's Club) the next part is easy. The credit card must be in the name of whoever is listed on the vehicle registration! You will be required to charge a non-refundable fee of $16.50 (including the IVA) to your credit card at the Banjercito which is within the Customs area. Banjercito hours of operation at different border crossings are listed below. If you do not have an international credit card, read about making a cash deposit.
Which Mexican Consulates issue temporary vehicle import permits?
How long can I keep my car in Mexico?

Temporary vehicle importation permits are valid for up to six months. Within this period you may enter and exit the country with your vehicle as many times as you want. Make sure that you get the full six months worth stamped on your permit- its probably wise to do so even if you don't plan to stay that long. If your vehicle is in the country for longer than the permit allows, it can be confiscated by the Mexican authorities.

Why do I have to return my vehicle permit when I leave Mexico?

The vehicle permit must be returned to authorities when you leave Mexico so that the permit is canceled and authorities know the vehicle is no longer in Mexico. It is important to bring your vehicle, the permit and the sticker with you. Vehicle permits may NOT be canceled any other way. If you drive home without canceling your permit, you risk having to drive all the way back to Mexico to return the permit.

What if my permit expires and I am still in Mexico?

Mexican Customs can issue a permit called a "Retorno Seguro" or Safe Return that will allow you to drive the vehicle to the border. The permit is free of charge and is valid for five business days.

I have more questions. How can I find out more information?

You may like to read a courtesy translation on our website of Banjercito's FAQs. If you need to contact Banjercito directly, we suggest emailing them at permisovehiculos(at)banjercito.com.mx.

What are Banjercito's hours of operation?

Banjercito offices are open on holidays unless noted otherwise below

Baja California Norte (California Border Points)
  • Tijuana
    7am-11pm - 7 days a week
  • Otay Mesa
    8am-9pm - 7 days a week
  • Tecate
    8am-8pm Monday-Friday
    8am-4pm Saturday and Sunday
  • Mexicali
    6am-10pm - 7 days a week
  • Mexicali - Annex
    8am-4pm Monday-Friday
    10am-2pm Saturday
    Closed on Sunday
Baja California Sur
  • La Paz (Pichilingue)
    7am- 3pm Monday, Wednesday, Friday
    7am-6pm Tuesday and Thursday
    7am-3pm; 6:30pm-10:30pm Saturday
    8:30-4:30 Sunday
Sonora (Arizona Border Points)
  • San Luis Rio Colorado
    8am-12am - 7 days a week
  • San Emeterio (Sonoyta)
    8am-12am - 7 days a week
  • Nogales (Km 21)
    24 hrs - 7 days a week
  • Naco - Anexo
    4pm-10pm Thursday
    10am-10pm Friday-Sunday
  • Agua Prieta
    24 hrs - 7 days a week
  • Cananea
    8am-6pm Monday-Friday
    8am-4pm Saturday & Sunday
Banjercito Office
Banjercito Office - Nogales, Sonora
Chihuahua (Texas & New Mexico Border Points)
  • Cd. Juarez (Km. 30)
    24 hrs - 7 days a week
  • Palomas
    8am-12am - 7 days a week
  • Pte. Int. Ojinaga
    24 hrs - 7 days a week
  • Piedras Negras (Km. 54.3)
    24 hrs - 7 days a week
  • Acuña
    24 hrs - 7 days a week
  • San Jeronimo
    6am-10pm - 7 days a week
Tamaulipas (Texas Border Points)
  • Nuevo Laredo (Patio Fiscal)
    8am-4pm Monday-Saturday
    Closed Sunday
  • Nuevo Laredo (Puente Internacional I & II)
    24 hrs - 7 days a week
  • Reynosa
    24 hrs - 7 days a week
  • Nuevo Amanecer
    8am-12am - 7 days a week
  • Ciudad Camargo
    8am-6pm - 7 days a week
  • San Jeronimo
    24 hrs - 7 days a week
  • Matamoros Pta. Dos
    6am-10pm Monday-Sunday
  • Puente Nuevo
    24 hrs - 7 days a week
  • Puente Ignacio Zaragoza
    8am-9pm - Monday-Friday
    9am-7pm - Saturday and Sunday
  • Puente TLC
    9am-6pm Monday-Friday
    9am-4pm Saturday
    Closed Sunday
4.8 81 Reviews
  • user logo
    Jose Paez
    From logo

    Had a great experience getting insurance at Baja Bound, before I always stoped at the border to purchase my insurance, not anymore. By the...

  • user logo
    Stefano Pensa
    From logo

    I talked with Yara and she was extremely helpful. She took the time to explain the different options available to me and I was able to get...

  • user logo
    From logo

    I purchased insurance through them & CHUBB for our trip to San Felipe. Unfortunately, we had to cancel due to our vehicle having an oil...

  • user logo
    Christian Minor
    From logo

    Team were on point, provided inside information, prices were great and they had my proposal already in the system when I called back....

  • user logo
    Joey Digiovanni
    From logo

    Easy to work with 😉. Always courteous and helpful

  • user logo
    From logo

    Excellent customer service

  • user logo
    Kellye Pummill
    From logo

    Fast and easy!

  • user logo
    robert kepper
    From logo

    They are very good . There website  doesn't show you need a title to bring  a  vehicle across the border.I was stopped and told I had to...

  • user logo
    Jennifer Toups
    From logo

    Baja Bound is and has been my go to Mexico insurance company.  The website is extremely easy to use, keeps all your info for a quick...

  • user logo
    Cesar Lopez
    From logo

    Very convenient,  great price !!

  • user logo
    Louis Schneidman
    From logo

    I had an awesome experience with Baja Bound.  Family owned and highly personal, top notch customer service.  I have total peace of mind...

  • user logo
    Phil Noble
    From logo

    If you’re looking for Mexican Insurance that you can trust and feel good about while traveling in Mexico, you’ve found the right place....

  • user logo
    Jeff Bunker
    From logo

    Great coverage options . Price buy and print policy , very quick and easy , highly recommend them when driving in Mexico

  • user logo
    Burrell DeVine
    From logo

    Easy to navigate and very competitively priced! I had to call in and add an additional day, they couldn't have been any more pleasant to...

  • user logo
    Nereyda Torres
    From logo

    Me gusta la asuguranza porque la puedes comprar por un dia y te asegura en Mexico por el tiempo que vas ya sea hasta por mes (Translated...

  • user logo
    james whitmer
    From logo

    Best insurance I've had so far

  • user logo
    From logo

    Quick, easy, well designed website and not just for Baja. Good rates for temporal residente gringos. We’re not living in Jalisco. Printed...

  • user logo
    Matt B
    From logo

    I always use Baja Bound to source my insurance while traveling to Mexico.  Fortunately, I have not had to file any claims. I do appreciate...

  • user logo
    Refugio I. Rochin
    From logo

    Excellent online and by direct phone. Spanish and English with proven response to questions. Website is very informative about driving in...

  • user logo
    Kelly Carney
    From logo

    Yara is very helpful and explains everything. Love working with companies like this.

  • user logo
    Slumdog Gump
    From logo

    Changed some money. Good rate and friendly people.

  • user logo
    Jeff G
    From logo

    Went down to TJ June 11 2020 No problems going into TJ but the way back was a ordeal 6 hours in line to get back into the USA  but no...

  • user logo
    don letson
    From logo

    Great renewal process, if only south Dakota would do the same for car registration.

  • user logo
    len buckholtz
    From logo


  • user logo
    Susana Judd
    From logo

    Easy, quick and fair prices. Easy to deal with if needed.

  • user logo
    Seismic Waterfinder
    From logo

    Very excellent service, needed insurance for Mexico, price was fair. The custumer service rep was Yara

  • user logo
    Nicolas Dervé
    From logo

    Very good ans very fast. We hope all will ben good if we need it.

  • user logo
    Blake Glassco
    From logo

    I will never drive south of the border without Baja Bound in my center console. I was in an accident a couple hours south of Ensenada and...

  • user logo
    JohnPaul Gemelli
    From logo

    Baja Bound could not have made it an easier ... also, I made a mistake and called them having to leave a message ... but, they called back...

  • user logo
    Jeff Brandt
    From logo

    so far so good, however I have read good things about them