What to Do After an Accident

What to Do After an Accident

All claims must be reported before you leave the Republic of Mexico.
Any claim not reported may be subject to denial.
In the event an accident should occur, here are some general guidelines to follow:
  • If possible, do not move the vehicles until you are given permission by the authorities.
  • Dial the Baja California (Norte) Emergency Response Hotline at 911 or 066. For other Mexican states try 911, 060 or 080 if 066 does not work. Make sure an accident investigator (perito) is sent to do an accident report. An accident report is important to have to file a claim and prevent delays in paying your claim.
  • Call your insurance company as soon as possible after the accident occurs and before you leave Mexico.
    • HDI Seguros toll free within Mexico +52 (800) 019-6000 or direct +52 (477) 710-4781
    • Chubb Seguros toll free within Mexico +52 (800) 801-0117 or direct +52 (818) 864-9322
  • Other parties who were involved in the accident may try to offer payment to you for damages. Do NOT accept any payment without consulting the insurance company.
  • Information to collect at the scene:
    • Contact information for drivers involved
    • Insurance information for drivers involved
    • Other relevant information
  • A bilingual representative will be able to assist you and they will ask you for the following information:
    • Policyholder's name
    • Policy number
    • Agent's name
    • Description of the insured vehicle
    • Description of third party's vehicle (if applicable)
    • Coverage in force
    • Exact location of the accident
    • Phone number (if available)
    • Brief description of the accident
  • In many cases, an adjuster will be sent to the scene. The adjuster will need the following information:
    • Insurance policy
    • Driver's license
    • Vehicle permit of importation (if applicable)
    • Written declaration of accident details signed by the policyholder
  • Once the investigation is complete, it will be determined who is at fault. This may be carried out at the scene or at the police station. Hopefully at this time an agreement will be worked out to compensate the non-guilty party.
  • You have the right to ask for an attorney while at the police station. If you feel you may need an attorney, discuss this with the HDI or Chubb representative.
  • Even if minor injuries have occured during the accident, the case may go to the State DA's Office.
  • It is recommended to check with your domestic medical insurance company to find out what coverage you have, if any, while traveling in a foreign country. Ask the company to send you the details of the coverage in writing if possible.
Contacting the Insurance Company Once You Are Home

HDI or Chubb will inform you of the next steps to take and how to stay in contact during the claims process.

HDI Seguros works with International Claims Service to help facilitate the claim and provide information to you once you have returned home. The toll-free number for HDI Seguros is 1-800-284-9783.

Chubb Seguros can be contacted from the US by dialing their U.S. toll free number: 1-844-804-9288

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us as well, toll free 1-888-552-2252 or use our contact form.

HDI Seguros
+52 (800) 019-6000 or +52 (477) 710-4781

Chubb Seguros
+52 (800) 801-0117 or +52 (818) 864-9322