Boat Liability Insurance

Boat Liability Insurance

Baja Bound offers Mexican insurance policies for recreational boats and watercraft. Policies cover the legal requirement of liability coverage should you be involved in an accident on the water only. Policies are offered through Chubb Seguros.

Important: Mexican watercraft policies do not cover the boat while it is being towed by a primary vehicle. Coverage for towed boats (and trailers) may be issued on your Mexican auto policy. If you are towing your boat or watercraft, two policies are recommended:
Types of Watercraft Covered by this Policy:
  • Powerboats
  • Sailboats
  • Yachts
  • Personal Watercraft - Jet Skis, Sea-Doos, Waverunners, etc.
Features of the Chubb Seguros Watercraft Liability Policy:
  • Daily or annual policies
  • Recreational use only (no commercial use or racing)
  • For boats and watercraft up to 175 feet
  • Boats and watercraft registered in the U.S. or Canada (please call us for additional countries)
  • Policy does not cover physical damage, theft, or medical payments for boat or watercraft passengers
FAQs about Mexican boat and watercraft policies
What is Mexican boat liability coverage?

Mexican boat liability insurance covers your civil liability for property damage or bodily injury you might cause to third parties. It does not cover damages to your boat or watercraft, or injuries to occupants of your watercraft, but it does cover damages and injuries to other property and people.

Why do I need Mexican boat liability insurance?

Boats entering Mexican ports are required to carry civil liability (third party) coverage for potential damages to third parties. As with operating a vehicle in Mexico, you must have proof of financial responsiblity in the event that you are involved in an accident while operating a boat in Mexican waters and ports.

Are damages to my boat or watercraft covered by this policy?

No. Physical damage or theft of your boat/watercraft is not covered by this policy. For that type of coverage, you need physical damage (Hull) coverage from an authorized provider.

Do you offer physical damage (hull) coverage for boats and watercraft?

We do not offer this type of insurance at this time. Some U.S. boat/watercraft insurance physical damage coverage extends into Mexico. Please contact your U.S. insurance agent/company to find out if your U.S. policy will cover you.

What boats and watercraft are excluded from this policy?

Any commercial vessel, vessels used for hire whether for public transportation of cargo or passengers, or those used for wholesale or retail delivery are all excluded from coverage. Vessels are also not covered while racing or while involved in competition of any kind, including support vehicles for racing events.

What information will Baja Bound need to issue my boat or watercraft policy?

  • Year of boat or watercraft
  • Type of boat: powerboat, sailboat, yacht or personal watercraft
  • Length of boat
  • Maximum speed
  • Country registered
  • Boat make and model
  • Registration number
  • Hull ID number (HIN)
  • Driver's license information for the primary operator
  • If there will be any operators under the age of 21
  • If there is a dinghy or tender on the vessel

How long will it take for me to receive my boat or watercraft policy?

Your policy will be available immediately after filling out the application and completing payment.

What is the refund policy on boat and watercraft liability policies for Mexico?

If the policy has not yet begun, a full refund will be issued. If a daily policy has already begun, there is no refund. If an annual policy has already begun, the refund is calculated by the number of days used based on the daily rate. Annual policies are fully earned 20 days after they have begun. Please contact us if you have any questions about a refund 1-888-552-2252.