Mexican Insurance Policies for Quads, ATVs and UTVs
Baja Bound offers coverage for the two types of scenarios you may encounter in Mexico with your buggy or ATV.
In some cases, two policies may be necessary:
- While being driven as a primary vehicle - Buggies/ATVs are eligible for liability only coverage
if you will be driving them on municipal roads. This requires its own primary vehicle policy. If the buggy/ATV
is street legal, it may qualify for full coverage. Please contact us.
- While being towed or carried by a primary vehicle - Buggies/ATVs must be listed as towed items
on your primary vehicle's policy either for full coverage (this includes physical damage and theft) or liability
only (excludes physical damage and theft). This coverage ceases once the vehicle(s) are off the trailer
or out of the truck bed.
Important: Coverage is only valid on municipal roads, not in off-road situations. Some dirt roads
are considered to be municipal roads if they are normally transited. There is no coverage on roads that are
Features of policies for Buggies/ATVs as Primary Vehicles:
- Liability only (full coverage may be possible by special approval)
- Various limits of liability are available
- No medical payments covered for the driver or passengers
- No legal assistance unless by special approval
- No roadside assistance
- Coverage is only valid on municipal roads
Features of policies for Buggies/ATVs as Towed/Carried Vehicles:
- Liability only or full coverage
- Full coverage for buggies and ATVs worth $3,000+
- Legal assistance
- Roadside assistance and other assistance coverage may be available
- Coverage for buggy/ATV ceases once off the trailer/out of the truck bed unless a separate primary
vehicle policy is purchased.
FAQs about Mexican Insurance for Buggies and ATVs
If I will be towing my buggy/ATV and later riding it, how can I be sure to issue my policies correctly?
If you will be towing your vehicle first and then riding it on municipal roads, you will need two separate policies
if it will be operated on municipal roads.
- First, the vehicle must be listed as a towed item on the primary vehicle's policy, either for liability only or
full coverage (if eligible). This will give you either full coverage or liability coverage only while the
vehicle is being towed.
- Call our office so we can issue a separate buggy/ATV policy.
May I have full coverage (physical damage and theft) on my buggy/ATV when it is off the trailer?
Maybe. Sometimes it is possible to get special approval from our insurance companies for full coverage. Please
Is it possible to obtain medical payments for the driver and passengers of a buggy/ATV?
Sometimes it is possible to be covered for medical payments while driving a buggy (but not for an ATV). Our insurance
companies may grant special coverage if the buggy is street legal, has a roof and windows and/or other safety
features. Otherwise, we recommend checking your medical or health insurance from the U.S. or Canada to see if you
will be covered. If not, you may be able to purchase temporary international
Updated: Sep 20, 2014 04:39 PM