How To Buy Your FMM Tourist Card Online
The Mexican government has unveiled an online application to obtain a tourist card (FMM) before crossing into Mexico by land or air. After filling out the application and making your payment, the tourist card (FMM) may be printed out from the convenience of your home or office. The printed tourist card (FMM) will need to be officially stamped by an INM official at the border to be valid.
Online tourist card (FMM) facts:
- Requires a valid passport or passport card
- The FMM is free if your trip is 7 days or less and you are traveling by land.
- Online fee: $500 pesos - approximately U.S. $24 per person
- The fee may be paid by Visa or Mastercard only (credit or debit card)
- Print out the FMM form in minutes
- The FMM must be validated/stamped at an INM office at the border in these states: Baja California (Norte), Sonora, Chihuahua, Coahuila, Nuevo Leon, Tamaulipas
- The stamped online FMM is valid for land travel throughout Mexico.
- After printing your FMM form, it must be stamped by INM within 30 days to be valid.
- May be issued for up to 180 days
Useful tips when getting the FMM tourist card online
San Ysidro-Tijuana Crossing
When crossing into Mexico through the San Ysidro-Tijuana border crossing, choose the “El Chaparral” point of entry.
See where to get your FMM at the El Chaparral border crossing.
Cities with Multiple Crossings
According to the INM office at Nogales, Sonora, the point of entry selected must coincide with the city you will be crossing into. If there is more than one option for a city, you may select any entry for that specific city.
Accurate Personal Information
It is imperative that the information on your electronic FMM tourist card identically match your passport. According to the INM, if your personal information in incorrect, even by just one letter, your FMM will not be validated when crossing the border. You will need to get another FMM at your expense. There is no reimbursement for the FMM generated with inaccurate information.
San Diego-Tijuana CBX Crossing
When using the new San Diego-Tijuana CBX border crossing, choose the “Conexión peatonal aeropuerto Tijuana-San Diego” port of entry. When you enter the CBX building, you will be required to pass through Mexican Immigration. You must present a valid passport in order for your tourist card (FMM) to be validated. Please note that if you are arriving directly to the Tijuana airport, without using the CBX border crossing, you will be required to pay for the FMM regardless the length of your stay in Mexico.
If you are flying internationally to Mexico, the airline will provide the touist card (FMM) prior to arrival. The price is included in the airline ticket. You may also get the FMM online ahead of time, click to view the online application. It is important to note that you may only use a passport book as identification, not a passport card for air travel.