Driving to Mexico With Pets

Driving to Mexico With Pets

Driving across the border with pets is usually easy if your pets are healthy. It's important to know that Mexico only recognizes dogs and cats as pets. Other types of pets may have different import requirements.

What documentation do we need to drive across the border with a dog or cat?

As of December 16th, 2019, dogs and cats from the U.S. and Canada no longer need a health certificate signed by a veterinarian to enter Mexico, making traveling across the border even easier. Note: Health certificates are not required to return to the U.S. either.

Upon arrival to Mexico, pets may be inspected by SENASICA, an acronym for the Mexican government's Servicio Nacional de Sanidad, Inocuidad, Calidad Agroalimentaria. (Pet inspections do not seem to be common when driving across; they may be more common when flying.)

Consider bringing your pet's proof of ownership and vaccination records. Although not a requirement, it may come in handy.

For more detailed information about dogs and cats as well as other pets, please refer to the USDA's website.

What is best to do to prepare to take my pet to Mexico?
Check with your veterinarian for recommendations, health protocols and vaccination updates.
Will my pets be quarantined when entering Mexico?
Your pets will NOT be placed in quarantine when entering Mexico, as long as they do not present signs of ectoparasites or ticks.
Can I bring my birds and ferret to Mexico?

Yes. Information can be found on the USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service website.

Does Baja Bound offer pet insurance?
We do not offer separate pet medical insurance policies at this time.

USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

4.7 274 Reviews
user logo
Mariano Velazquez
From logo

Baja Bound is #1. They make getting Baja Mexico insurance a pleasure.