On November 1st, 2012 the El Chaparral border crossing officially opened. This new border crossing replaces the old border crossing at San Ysidro/Tijuana (Puerta México). Below are photos to guide you through this new crossing.
1. Heading south on the 5 or 805, continue as if you will be crossing the old border crossing at San Ysidro (Puerta México).
2. At the old border crossing the road takes a sharp, more than 90 degree right turn.
3. Next, you will drive down the new, but temporary road that takes you to the crossing.
4. Notice the signs to either stay in the "Nothing to Declare (Nada que declarar)" lanes or to take the "Something to Declare (Autodeclaración)" lane to the right.
5. Next you will take a sharp left and line up in whichever line you wish.
6. Get ready to cross. Wait for the green light to let you enter.
7. Then you will pull up and wait for your green or red light to proceed.
8. Proceed to exit the customs facility and take note of the signs.
9. The exit to Avenida Internacional (aka Vía Internacional or Internacional) that leads to the Tijuana-Ensenada toll road is to the far right. There are also exits to Zona Río and to the Vía Rápida/Otay airport.
10. Bridge to Avenida Internacional.
11. Merge onto Avenida Internacional to head toward the coast and the toll road.