Get Mexican Insurance Get A Quote

Mexican Tourist Cards/Visas (FMM)

Mexican Immigration

Tourist Card (FMM) Facts:

  • The FMM is a document issued by Mexico's INM (Instituto Nacional de Migración aka INAMI)
  • Casually called a tourist card or tourist "visa"
  • Issued to U.S., Canadian and other nationalities for vacation purposes
  • Easily obtained at an INM office at the border, not available online
  • Requires a valid passport or passport card
  • Cost as of February 2015, $332 Pesos (appx U.S. $22) per person
  • May be issued for up to 180 days

See where to get a tourist card at the El Chaparral border crossing (San Ysidro/Tijuana).

What is a tourist card (FMM)?

According to the INM (aka INAMI), an FMM, or Forma Migratoria Múltiple is an "admission document" issued to vacationing visitors of certain nationalities. Although the tourist card (FMM) is also popularly known as a tourist "visa," it is not officially a visa. U.S. and Canadian citizens driving to Mexico for vacation may obtain a tourist card (FMM) within minutes at a Mexican immigration office at the border with only a valid passport or passport card. The tourist card (FMM) may be issued for up to 180 days and is issued per person including children.

Mexico Tourist Card
Tourist Card - FMM

When is a tourist card (FMM) required?

A tourist card (FMM) is required for all tourists who enter Mexico.

It is important to note that in Baja, even though you may take your vehicle to the end of the peninsula without a vehicle permit (see vehicle importation regulations) you must have a tourist card if you plan to travel south of Maneadero.

Who may obtain a tourist card (FMM)?

If you are a U.S. or Canadian citizen traveling to Mexico for tourist reasons, you may only need a tourist card (FMM). For citizens of other countries, view the INM's list of Coutries and Regions That Do Not Require a Visa To Travel to Mexico - but DO require an FMM.

List of Countries and Regions That Require a Visa to Travel to Mexico

What type of documentation do I need to obtain a tourist card (FMM)?

If you are a U.S. or Canadian citizen you will need to have a valid passport or passport card to present to the Mexican Immigration officials in order to get a tourist card (FMM).

What information is asked on the tourist card (FMM) form?

The following information as it appears on your passport:
  • Full name
  • Nationality
  • Date of birth
  • Passport number
  • Purpose of trip
  • How you are entering Mexico: air, sea, land

How do I obtain a tourist card (FMM)?

Most tourists who drive across the border obtain their tourist card from an immigration office at the border crossing. They are also available at border zone airports, airlines flying to Mexico, travel agencies and other ports. Tourist cards are no longer available at Mexican Consulates. Keep in mind that if you obtain your tourist card before crossing the border, you will still have to stop at the Mexican immigration office at the border to document your entry date and to have your tourist card stamped by immigration officials.

How much does a tourist card (FMM) cost?

As of January 2015, tourist cards cost $295.00 pesos (appx U.S. $22) and can be issued for up to 180 days. It is advisable to have your card valid for 180 days even if you don't plan on staying in Mexico that long. It is easier to already have the time granted to you than extend your card later if you stay longer.

Is the tourist card (FMM) available online?

No. It must be obtained from an INM office.

What is the general procedure to get a tourist card (FMM)?

1. Fill out an FMM form at the immigration office (INM)
2. Walk to the nearby bank and pay for the tourist card
3. Return to the INM office to get your tourist card stamped

Is it possible to enter and exit Mexico multiple times with the same tourist card (FMM)?

No, tourist cards (FMM) are not multiple entry at this time. Each time you enter Mexico, you will need a new one.

What if I lose my tourist card (FMM)?

If you lose your tourist card, visit the nearest INM office in order to obtain a new one.

Does the tourist card (FMM) have to be returned to INM?

Last time we checked with INM (aka INAMI) in January 2015, returning the FMM was not necessary in Baja California. Although there is statement on the back of the FMM saying to return it, there is no procedure about how to return it or where to return it within the Baja region. The Federal INAMI Delegate in other regions may require that you turn it in and get an exit stamp. If you are not in the Baja Peninsula, it would be best to check with your local INM office.

Tourist Card Tips:

  • Make sure that the Mexican officials stamp your card.
  • Keep your card in a safe place.
  • It is recommended to write down your FMM number in case it is lost or stolen.

Sources: Baja Bound staff, INM, U.S. Dept of State

fletcher hill says

1. Get A Quote

2. Buy

3. Print your policy

"Insured with you 3 years ago and was pleased with the service." - S.M., Victoria, B.C..

"Third or fourth time I’ve used you guys, I’m in good hands." - E.Z., Davis, CA.

"Fifth time I have used this company and feel that the ease of use with the site is great." - S.S., Hesperia, CA.

Baja Bound Insurance Services Inc BBB Business Review