Mexican Insurance Policies for Buggies and ATVs
The following information is to help you insure your buggy/ATV as a towed vehicle. (It may also be necessary to insure it as a primary vehicle if it will be driven on conventional roads. If you will be driving your buggy/ATV on conventional roads, please read our article: Mexican Insurance Policies for Buggies and ATVs - As Primary Vehicles.) Baja Bound offers coverage for the two types of policies you may need for your buggy or ATV. Sometimes two policies may be necessary:
- While being driven as a primary vehicle - Buggies/ATVs are eligible for liability only coverage if they will be driven on conventional roads. This requires its own primary vehicle policy. If the buggy/ATV has a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), it may qualify for full coverage. Read more...
- While being towed or carried by a primary vehicle - Buggies/ATVs must be listed as towed items on your primary vehicle's policy if it does not have its own separate primary vehicle policy. Towed buggies/ATVs may be insured for full coverage which includes physical damage and theft or liability only coverage which does not offer physical damage or theft. This coverage ceases once the vehicle(s) are off the trailer or out of the truck bed which is why a separate primary vehicle policy may be necessary.
Important: Coverage is only valid on conventional roads, some dirt roads are considered conventional roads if they are normally transited and have signage. There is no coverage on roads that are impassable, while off road, beach riding, trail riding or racing.
Features of policies for Buggies/ATVs as Towed/Carried Vehicles:
- Covers while on a trailer or in the truck bed
- Coverage is added to the policy for the vehicle towing the buggy/ATV
- Liability only or full coverage
- Full coverage for buggies and ATVs worth $3,000+
- Legal assistance
- Roadside assistance and other assistance coverage may be available
- Coverage for buggy/ATV ceases once off the trailer/out of the truck bed unless a separate primary vehicle policy is purchased.
FAQs about Mexican Insurance for Buggies and ATVs as Towed Vehicles
- If I will be towing my buggy/ATV and later riding it, how do I issue my policies correctly?
- The first thing to determine is if your buggy/ATV will have a separate primary vehicle policy for coverage while driving it on conventional roads and whether or not that policy is liability only (available online) or full coverage (by special approval - please contact us).
- If your buggy/ATV will not have a separate policy (in case it will not be driven on conventional roads) then proceed to add the buggy/ATV as a towed vehicle on the same policy as the vehicle it will be towed by. Be sure to include the trailer if a trailer will be towed. The buggy/ATV may be covered for liability only or full coverage. Coverage ceases once the buggy/ATV is off of the trailer or out of the truck bed.
- If your buggy/ATV will have a separate primary vehicle policy for liability only - You may add the buggy/ATV to the policy for the vehicle that is towing it. Full coverage or liability only is offered, and coverage is only valid while the buggy/ATV is on the trailer or in the truck bed. For example if you choose to cover the buggy/ATV for full coverage only while being towed, it will not have full coverage while being driven.
- If your buggy/ATV will have a separate primary vehicle policy for full coverage (by special approval) - The buggy/ATV will need to be added for liability only coverage to the policy for the vehicle towing the buggy/ATV. The separate full coverage primary vehicle policy will cover the physical damage and theft portion while in tow.
- If I do not get a separate primary vehicle policy for my buggy/ATV, why do I need to add it to the policy of the vehicle towing it?
It is very important to add the buggy/ATV to the policy of the vehicle towing it to be sure it is properly insured. Vehicles not listed on the policy do not have any coverage and in some cases part or all of a potential claim may be denied.
- I have a high valued buggy. Am I able to insure it for its full value?
Maybe. Please contact us with the buggy's information. Photos may be requested by our insurance companies. In case of a claim, the insurance companies may request invoices/receipts from a professional body shop to help value the vehicle. An appraisal is ideal.
Updated: Feb 22, 2018 11:21 AM